Consultation on the Removal of Speaking and Listening Assessment from GCSE English and GCSE English Language
This consultation is about the removal of speaking and listening from the grading of English and English language GCSE qualifications.
Read the consultation
The consultation is available to view online using the navigation on the left of this page or below this text.
Alternatively you can download a copy of the consultation document in PDF format [PDF, 433KB].
There is also a version in Word format that you can fill in and send back to us.
The equality analysis of this consultation is also available to download [PDF, 299KB].
The deadline for responses to this consultation was Friday, 7th June 2013.
- Our proposals
- Proposal 1: add a requirement for GCSE English and GCSE English language that the marks for speaking and listening no longer count towards the overall grade
- Proposal 2: re-weight the remaining components
- Proposal 3: add a requirement for exam boards to report speaking and listening achievement separately on the GCSE certificate
- Proposal 4: to adopt proposals 1, 2 and 3 for first certification in summer 2014
- Proposal 5: to use the comparable outcomes approach when awarding the first of these revised qualifications
- Next steps
- About us